Monday, August 10, 2009




To Watch or Not To Watch:
My oldest daughter and her husband are currently deployed. They are both serving in Northern Iraq. I don’t think about their safety 24/7, but it is on my mind -- a lot -- especially in the mornings. I brace myself before opening any kind of newsfeed or news broadcast or newspaper/newsmagazine. Has an “incident” taken place near them? How many were killed? Any soldiers? Some days I just don’t have the strength to look.

It makes me wonder if all of this “instant access” stuff a good thing or a bad thing. When the internet is working over there, we correspond by email. And Skype -- although the connection is always shaky -- is a dream! There’s nothing I look forward to more than our Sunday afternoon visits. I love seeing their faces and hearing their voices -- even though they always look tired.

My mother and I have discussed and debated this subject many times. Was it was harder for the loved ones of service men and women during World War II who had little contact and sparse news, or is it harder now with every detail and up-to-the-minute report in your face?

Was ignorance better?

No comments:

Post a Comment