Tuesday, January 12, 2010


Found An Old LP:
My brother was born in 1948 and my sister in 1950, four years later I came along. As teenagers, they introduced me to the music of The Sixties. And because I was only eight-years-old and was outnumbered two-to-one, I listened to whatever they listened to. The car radio was set at 50,000-watt KOMA 92.5 for "Top-40 Rock & Roll." In the bedroom I shared with my sister, phonograph albums of pop musicians were stacked on a turntable that played endlessly. Needless to say, that music was the soundtrack of my life!

While cleaning out a closet the other day, I found an old LP... all by itself, no jacket or sleeve, just the big black vinyl record with the oh-so-familiar Capitol label in the middle. After putting on my reading glasses, I discovered that it was an album by Cilla Black. Talk about being thrown through a hole in time! I can't tell you how many times in my youth I played this album over and over and over again. But how I ended up with the LP, I'm not sure. One day long ago, my Mother was probably getting rid of "junk" and said, "Who wants this?" I must've grabbed it.

Interesting tidbits: Cilla Black was discovered by The Beatles (uh huh, you knew there would be a Beatles connection, right?) She was the only female client of Brian Epstein (John Lennon convinced him to take her on). Her first record was produced by George Martin and was written for her by Lennon/McCartney, "Love of the Loved." Her first Number One hit was a Burt Bacharach/Hal David tune, "Anyone Who Had A Heart." Other hits of hers included: Alfie, It's For You, You're My World, Is It Love, Love Letters, You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling (before The Righteous Brothers and Maverick!), and tons more. Dionne Warwick did a lot of cover songs of hers. I don't remember hearing much about her, but she was popular at the same time as Lulu, Dusty Springfield, and Petula Clark. She was the first female to have her own television show in the U.K. and from what I gather, she continues to entertain today.

No comments:

Post a Comment