Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bing! Déjà Vu:
"Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there..." I heard that Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow today and now they predict six more weeks of winter weather... come on, really? I don't know about where you live, but here in North Texas, the winter of 2009-10 will go down in weather history books as a record-breaking bad one. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

All the same, when I hear anything about Groundhog Day or even just the name groundhog, I can't help but think of Bill Murray. And it makes me smile, really big. I love that movie. I never get tired of watching it; I probably know every single line. And it's one of my go-to-movies if I can't get to sleep at night.

For those of you who have never seen "Groundhog Day" (is there such a person?): Bill Murray plays Phil Connors (Mary Pat's brother), an obnoxious TV weatherman from Pittsburgh forced to relive the same wintry day in a small Pennsylvania town over and over again until he gets it right, in an unexpectedly graceful and well-organized comedy (1993) directed and co-written by Harold Ramis. While the movie's underlying message is basically "A Christmas Carol" strained through "It's a Wonderful Life." The filmmakers reveal their true virtue: a fluid sense of narrative that works the story's theme-and-variations idea with a glancing and gliding touch. The characters are fresh and familiar at the same time. It is a commendable achievement that the quality of the storytelling alone keeps the movie watchable and likable. Also starring Andie MacDowell and Chris Elliott. "I'd like to say a prayer and drink to world peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment