Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I Just Count The Wings:
Every time I see anything by Charley Harper I smile... I can't help it. His work is filled with nature and science. It is optimistic and full of promise. It is beautiful and whimsical.
When asked to describe his unique visual style, a style he called "minimal realism," Mr. Harper responded, "When I look at a subject -- wildlife or nature -- I don't see the feathers in the wings. I don't count the feathers, I just count the wings. I see exciting shapes, color combinations, patterns, textures, fascinating behavior and endless possibilities for making interesting pictures. I regard the picture as an ecosystem in which all the elements are interrelated, interdependent, perfectly balanced, without trimming or unutilized parts; and herein lies the lure of painting, in a world of chaos, the picture is one small rectangle in which the artist can create an ordered universe."
For Christmas this year, I want Santa to bring me a copy of "The Giant Golden Book of Biology: An Introduction to the Science of Life," (c1961) by Gerald Ames and Rose Wyler; Illustrated by Charley Harper (1922-2007). That would make me smile a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment