Thursday, September 17, 2009

Wonderful:
After kissing her Mommy and Daddy goodnight, Little M and I climbed the stairs and headed to my bedroom for "nigh-night." Since she was booted out of the den to let the adults watch football on TV, Little M's nightly viewing of her favorite show, Wonder Pets, was interrupted. To soothe her already upset emotions, I doubled up the pillows behind her back, fluffed the comforter around her, and turned on my bedroom TV to the Noggin channel. Instead of lying prone on the bed, I doubled up some pillows for my back and sat down next to her. After a few minutes, she pulled her tiny hand out from under the covers and felt for mine. There we sat, side by side in the dark, holding hands and watching "Linny, Tuck and Ming-Ming too." A few more minutes passed. Quietly, in her small sweet, lisping voice she said, "Nan, you're my best friend." I was so taken aback I didn't know how to respond. Tears filled my eyes and I got all choked up. I sat still trying to think of something to say, wondering what train of thought led this little 28-month-old to make such a statement. Finally I replied simply, "You're my best friend too." And at that moment I realized -- she really was.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jan, this brought me to tears too! As hard as it is to be with a 2-year-old day in and day out (don't we know it!), the joy that they bring - especially in those sweet, unexpected moments - is so wonderful and so perfect that it almost hurts! God's grace and love for us flowing through an innocent (mostly!), precious little being. Can we really be so blessed??? Thank you for sharing this tidbit this morning, it blessed my heart! :)
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Thou hast the sweetest face I ever look'd on. Sir, as I have a soul, she is an angel."

    ReplyDelete