Friday, March 26, 2010

Get Your Motor Runnin':
I have a hard time listening to music of 1969-2005... the years my late husband and I spent together. So when I'm in the car and don't have my ipod, I listen to talk radio -- conservative talk radio. (I am in love with Dennis Prager, Hugh Hewitt, Bill Bennett, and Dennis Miller.)

A few months ago though, I had to drive my young son-in-law's truck for a couple of hours and the radio was tuned to Lone Star 92.5 FM. Instead of switching stations, I listened to it for a while. It didn't take me long to realize that this was a hardcore guy's radio station. I had to laugh... everything about it was geared toward men. The advertising included Nascar, rock concerts, trucks, Monster Jam, Autrama, Harley Bike Nite... you get the picture. The music included rock groups like Def Leppard, Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Journey, Tom Petty, Queen, U2, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, and The Eagles. And the announcers talked about a variety of "manly" things, mostly sports. It was like inhaling Old Spice, dirty locker rooms, and puppy dog tails!
I'm curious to know out how many listeners they have and what their marketing data collection looks like. But why do I think this is so funny? I guess if there are "chick flicks" there can be macho radio stations as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment