Thursday, March 11, 2010

It Arrived Quixotically:
The next meeting of my "new" Book Club is March 25, and I am reading a book that was published in 2001... How did I miss reading this book? Why didn't anyone tell me about it!

"Peace Like A River" by Leif Enger is one of those books you can't put down. It is inspiring and spiritual and filling. I am half-way through it and have been carrying it with me everywhere, hoping to find some time to read a few pages. It is an amazing piece of work which reads like the novels of Carson McCullers and Harper Lee, plumbing the depths of childhood with innocence and blurred optimism.

I am rolling in Enger's lush prose...
"...worry died, as usual, at the hands of routine."
"...he unloaded it cheap to the farmer who understood burdens and the need to escape them."
"And now, because a story is told for all, an admonition to the mindsick: 1) Be careful whom you choose to hate. 2) The small and the vulnerable own a protection great enough, if you could but see, to melt you into jelly. 3) Beware those who reside beneath the shadow of the Wings."
If you haven't read it, do so in a quiet and still place. It will stay with you long after you've finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment