Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day:
With a heavy brogue I want to say, "Top of the mornin' to ya!" but read recently that Irishmen don't use that greeting... ever! It's New Zealanders slang; has to do with being on the bottom of the world but believing they are on "top of the world" or something. Anyway, I guess my little Hallmark leprechaun is from New Zealand, huh?

Erin Go Bragh... Can I say that? I dunno. It means "Ireland until eternity." Since I'm Scotch-Irish, I guess it would make one side of my ancestral line happy. And did you know that this holiday (holy day?) commemorates the death of St. Patrick? Seems a bit morbid.
All I know is that today means lots of people will be wearing green, drinking green beer, eating cornbeef & cabbage & carrots & potatoes & soda bread, having parades (St. Paddy or Gay Pride), and celebrating life in general. Sounds good to me... Cead mile failte, ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment